VINSPIREUK.COM – The big V-Day is just around the corner, and you may be stressing about what to buy your squeeze, but if there’s one thing you can easily get right it’s the wine. If they like wine, then you probably know the sorts of styles they enjoy, so buying a bottle of vino should be a piece of cake. If you’re struggling, however, then you can rest assured they’ll probably love a soppy Valentine’s wine (well, let’s face it, I would) and there are some seriously good options out there.
Here are my top ten romantically-named Valentine’s wines:
1. D’Arenberg The Lovegrass Shiraz (£13.21, The Drink Shop)
There’s something quite sexy about the name of this wine, and d’Arenberg will always deliver in taste and quality too. Dark, spicy and savoury – a bit of a sensuous one.
2. Little Beauty Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc (£15.95, KWM Wine & Spirits)
For a lovely, half-arsed, you-could-be-my-girlfriend-or-you-could-be-a-winning-racehorse vibe.
3. Kiss Chasey Shiraz Merlot Nebbiolo Sangiovese (£10.99, Laithwaites)
Although it’s a bit of a daft, childish name, the additional Italian grapes in this blend will make an impact, and it’s a red that packs a punch with hearty meat dishes.
4. Some Young Punks ‘Passion Has Red Lips’ (£12.49, Slurp)
We’ve crushed on Some Young Punks wines before, but there’s something seriously sexy about this label, as well as the name. It’s also a bloody decent drop of wine from an award-winning team, with generous fruit and an exotic bouquet. Perfect if you’re planning a V-Day bolognese.
5. Pretty Gorgeous rose (£7.39, The Drink Shop)
Yeah, not the most commitment-filled statement you could come up with on Valentine’s Day, but it’s cheap and quite cute.
6. Saint-Amour, Domaine de la Porte du Paradis (£8.99, Rannoch Scott Wine)
This is always popular on the day of lurve, but it’s great if you want a genuinely good wine as well as a sweet name. This Beaujolais is light enough to be sippable but sappy enough to stand up to a (romantic) plate of steak and chips.
7. Cloof ‘The Very Sexy Shiraz‘ (£12.95, Slurp)
This South African beauty has a red-writing-on-black label that screams ‘erotic fiction’ but should actually be a fairly decent drop of spicy, smooth shiraz.
8. Quirky Bird Chenin Semillon Muscat (£5.49, Tesco)
Because sometimes your choice of loved one is a bit mental for all the right reasons.
9. Stormhoek ‘Love’ Sparkling Moscato (£5.99, Morrisons)
Romantic occasions like this are made for a drop of frothy pink bubbles, and this is just that. Moscato is very hot right now, and this is a low-alcohol, sweet example from South Africa, which will be gorgeous with a light fruit pudding. Or in bed…
10. Sexy Beast Cabernet (£23 or £18 if you buy two, Majestic)
With a label straight off the Mills and Boon catalogue, this is a ‘voluptuous’ and ‘alluring’ wine, which basically couldn’t be any more of an innuendo. But it’s gorgeous to drink, too.